THE OLYMPIC PREPARATION PHASE (8-12 Weeks)
You have either gone through the whole process from Foundation building your skills and technique into Winter building your fitness and holding technique under more pressure and now you’re embarking on the final preparation to your Sprint Triathlon. Or you may be just tapping into this phase of your training to help you with your final preparation for your Olympic distance race.
On the whole this plan will use the polarised training model where the majority of the training will be in zones 1 & 2 with around 20 of the training in zones 4 & 5. That said some sessions you need to practice "race pace" and this is zone 3.
Most people are looking to target a Olympic Dist Triathlon
1. As its the next challenge up form a sprint
2. They do not have time to train for longer distances
The key is:
1) You are not injured
2) Your enthusiasm is high (you have not overdone the training to this point)
3) Technically you are sound
4) You have done the intensity sessions in the winter plan
Improved economy + increased training loads + psychological skills = faster & tougher athlete