The SmileTrain 70.3 Base II Training Plan
3 Week Program
2 Weeks of Work / 1 Week with Weekday Rest, Weekend Work
Now you are ready – we begin to build a true foundation focused on your race.
- Emphasize aerobic endurance
- Refine your speed skills
- Develop sport specific force
- Introduce Muscular endurance work
Prioritize the changes you need to make to become swim, bike and run comfortably for long periods of time.
Beginner vs. Advance - the majority of this program is based on Rate of Perceived Exertion and Time. This means that your output will be based on the your level, but the time and Perceived Exertion is appropriate to all levels of athletes.
If you are an advanced athlete, we recommend adding the following workouts to your plan each week:
1. Endurance Strength Run - 60-75 Minute Run, including the warm up. For 30-40 minutes run at your desired Marathon Pace on a hilly course. The focus is on building and extending your "race pace" feel without compromising the core workouts of the week.
2. Strength Ride: An extended climbing ride. Weather permitting, get outside and seek out a long climb. the goal is to find a 20-30 minute climb that you can ride at an endurance pace. Focus on good posture and keeping your pedal stroke fluid throughout.
3. Strength Training / Yoga: Should be a part of everyone's schedule if time allows.