TrainingPeaks GPS Family of Apps FAQs
TrainingPeaks GPS Tracker Pro Quick Start Guide
What is TrainingPeaks GPS?
TrainingPeaks GPS is a family of Apps including Run Tracker Pro, Cycle Tracker Pro, Walk Tracker Pro, Pedometer Pro and Walk Tracker Free. These Apps turn your iPhone into a fitness tracking device that uploads your data to your TrainingPeaks.com account.
Where do I get it?
TrainingPeaks GPS Apps can be obtained through the Apple App Store. You do not need to purchase all three of the Pro Apps, as once you puchase one, you get them all, except for the Pedometer Pro.
How does it work with TrainingPeaks.com?
Data from TrainingPeaks GPS automatically upload to your TrainingPeaks.com account. From there, you can easily track your progress as you get faster, leaner and stronger.
If I bought more than 1 app (ie: Run Tracker and Cycle Tracker), can I get a refund?
Answer: Yes. Follow the steps here to request a refund through the iTunes app store:
1. Open iTunes
2. Navigate to your purchase history by clicking "Store">"View My Account” > “Purchase History"
3. Inside your Purchase History page, select "Report a Problem"
4. In the window that opens, describe your reason for requesting a refund
Where do I find the map of my last workout?
To see the activity on the App itself:
(1) When you start SprintGPS you'll have a screen with [Start Activity] and [Activity History].
(2) The [Activity History] will show a short list (the 3 last activities) where you can select your activity for more details. Or make a selection from the [More History] list.
(3) Tap on your desired activity.
(4) On the new screen scroll down to [More Activity Information].
(5) Tap on [View Route Map]. After a few seconds your map will show on the iPhone.
To see the activity on the Website:
(1) In the App, go to [Settings], then [Sharing]. Set [Email] sharing "on". Set [Auto Share] "on", set [Share Map] "on".
(2) Then when you finish an activity it will automatically start uploading/syncing the data to the website.
(3) When this upload is finished you will receive an email (make sure you have set your own email address for email sharing).
(4) In this email is a link. When you click the link it should redirect you to the correct web page showing a map of your activity and some other data like speed, elevation.
(5) To export the activity to google earth or GPX use the export button on this webpage.
What if I can’t get good GPS signal strength?
There are a few reasons that you might not get a good signal.
Bad weather can affect your signal; unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to help this!
If you are in a built up area, try to get a clear line of sight to the horizon, or move your phone in different directions to find a signal.
You may just be in a blind spot; try moving up to 20 meters from your current position.
Unfortunately there are some places that don't get a GPS signal. In such circumstances, you will only be able to use the timer feature of the app.
What activity types are best suited to TrainingPeaks GPS?
Any outdoor activity, where you travel from one location to another, will use the GPS feature to track your activity. So, beyond running, cycling & walking, you could add hill-walking, cross-country skiing, roller skating, jogging, skateboarding or any location based activity you choose!
You can also use the app' as a basic timer on a stationary fitness machine. However this will not give you accurate readings for the other stats, such as distance, speed, climbed during your activity.
Can I listen to music during an activity?
Yes. The app' has an on-board music player that links to your phone's iPod from which you can select playlists, and designate a 'Power Song'. You can control playback from within the app' during your activity.
Can I make or receive calls during an activity?
With the currently release, if you are using iOS4 on a iPhone 3Gs or iPhone 4 then you can make and receive calls and use other applications while tracking an activity.
On the iPhone 3G, to make a call, you must finish your activity and exit from the app'.
If you answer a call, your activity will be automatically saved and the app' closed. The app' will restart automatically when you have finished your call - but you will have to begin a new activity.
If you receive an incoming call during an activity you can choose to ignore the call and complete your activity.
Why do I need a 3G/3GS/iPhone 4 phone to use the app?
3G/3GS/iPhone 4 phones have an in-built GPS receiver. The earlier model and the iPod Touch do not have this feature. The GPS technology is required to enable the app' to track your activity.
Have a question and cannot find the answer? No problem! Just submit a support ticket and we're happy to help.